Reflections on the Inaugural TPATH Conference 2021

This summer the Psychology department gave me the opportunity to attend the inaugural TPATH (Transgender Professional Association for Transgender Health) conference, which may be the greatest gift I have been given. The opportunity to network with established Trans academics and meet people from my community was a truly special experience.

TPATH is the first global organisation for Transgender Health that was organised by healthcare professionals who are trans-identifying. TPATH was created as an alternative to WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health), which would elevate the voices of Trans professionals. TPATH wanted to ensure that the contributions of professionals with lived experience were not drowned out by Cis researchers, in the inadvertent power imbalance often created in professional bodies.

The first conference of TPATH did not only far exceed expectations but also managed to run the most inclusive event format I have ever seen – a real masterclass in diversity and inclusion. Over 3 days, a small group of organisers brought together so many events, and numerous incredible Trans and gender-diverse professionals to discuss a wide variety of subjects. This conference was conducted in at least 3 languages and had attendees and presenters from across the globe. Strict adherence to schedule with 15-minute breaks between sessions allowed for a comfortable conference experience. A single-stream programme meant that there was no need to pick between subjects to attend. Presenters were also allowed to request that their presentations were not recorded if they did not wish them to become publicly available and were also allowed to request whether their presentation was live tweeted about by attendees. This allowed for a genuinely safe space to be created and it was honoured. Recorded presentations were made available here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TPATHvids for anyone who couldn’t attend but would like to learn more.

TPATH truly stuck to the ideal of “Nothing About Us Without Us”. While the global nature of the event and 3 working languages allowed for participation from contributors in the Global South. This was something I haven’t seen to this extent anywhere else. That exposure was enlightening in many ways and seeing Western beliefs and linguistic dominance challenged, or not held on a pedestal, was refreshing. There were also contributors who were living on colonised lands who made sure to mention this and refer to the people to whom the land belongs during their introductions, which is really a bare minimum for the work required in beginning decolonisation, but it was a start that was pleasant to see.

One concerning topic, repeatedly mentioned by contributors from a variety of places, was the situation in the UK. Comments on the role of the media in casting Trans people as the latest folk devil in the ongoing culture war; the deplorable state of Trans healthcare; and the increase in anti-trans hate rhetoric, were not few. In some ways this was a relief, having people external to the UK acknowledge the real struggle here that many in our country willingly ignore. In other ways it was chilling.

Seeing Trans people who are academics or researchers that are publishing work on our community was particularly encouraging. Being able to hear from so many Trans people thriving in their careers and succeeding in their goals or endeavours was positively overwhelming. As a Trans person early on in academia, it can feel very isolating and until now I had no one like me I could look up to, except Professor Stephen Whittle. To be suddenly exposed to a whole host of Trans and gender-diverse academics has been another level of euphoria. Being able to network throughout the event and connect with them on social media to keep up to date with their work and opinions was a rare opportunity. I don’t think I will ever be able to communicate how important that has been to me – I am still overwhelmed months later.

Overall, having the opportunity to attend the conference was incredible. I have benefitted massively from the exposure to Trans academics and the diversity and inclusivity of this conference experience. I fully intend to go to the next one, wherever and whenever that may be. If I work hard, maybe I will get a chance to contribute.

Updates at https://tpathealth.org

Theme by the University of Stirling